Saturday, April 29, 2017

011. Awesome Ash and Mighty Misty

This is the eighty-seventh submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping Theme Challenge.

11. Awesome Ash & Mighty Misty
Two months, shmoo months, right? At least I can say for certain that it isn't new for me to take months-long breaks between posting. And hopefully, it's all worth it when I roll out more art! Besides that, I'm determined to finish this theme challenge if it's the last thing I do! And I'm almost there to boot! So, don't worry, even if it takes me the rest of 2017 to get out the last 10+ themes remaining, I will get it done! Ganbarimasu!

So, I initially had trouble figuring out what to do with the following 3 themes (including this one) because I didn't want them too same-y but I didn't want to make them too different either. Not to mention that I have no knowledge about biker outfits and what could befit Ash and Misty. So, you'll have to excuse me if they look a little plain. I just tried to follow the references I found online while also adding my own little touches to them as well. For example, I decided to give Ash a bandana instead of a cap as well as a tattoo. The cool thing is, that bandana is based on a real one that has old-school images of nothing but Gen. 1 electric pokemon. I kinda want one for myself despite the fact that I'll never use it for anything besides decoration. ^_^;; Oh well, just my materialism showing.

One thing that bothers me and I wasn't able to fix was the youth in Ash's face. I don't know why but to me, it looks like Ash is still his child self in the face despite the rest of his body saying otherwise. I'm not sure how to fix it, I already tried to give his cheeks and jaw a more angular shape as well as the beard but... Maybe I should've added laugh lines? I dunno. It's probably never gonna stop bugging me and all I can do is just let it go and move on. I mean, the other 2 themes don't have such big distractions for me. ^_^

I also really enjoyed doing the shading for this, specifically on the leather(?) clothing pieces. I'm still green at it but I think with what little I did, it's not too hard to discern what material they're made of? If that makes any sense. ^_^;; (I'm actually writing this as I'm falling asleep, so pardon me.)

Anyway, time to move onto the next theme!

Art © Hakui-Kitsune
Ash Ketchum, Misty, Bandana, & Charmander © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, Gamefreak Inc, OLM Inc, Pokemon Company & International

No comments:

Post a Comment