Thursday, April 4, 2019

039. Rescuing the Princess!

 
 This is the ninety-fifth submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping Theme Challenge.

39. Rescuing the Princess!
It feels good to finish another bundle of matching themes. Like it's one more milestone crossed as I'm making steady progress through the handful of other themes left. The light at the end of this tunnel is close and almost within reach. Will I achieve the end this year? The next? Who knows. And who's been following me since the beginning? Probably almost no one. But I thank all of you who take the time to look and read all the same.

So, moving on to the theme at hand. I think from early on, I wanted to make reference to Toshihiro Ono's Pokémon manga as I read it back when it was first published Stateside. Despite the main problematic element of it (which called for a heavy censor for American release), I still have fond memories of it for the different take Ono made on certain episodes from the anime. He came up with some interesting ideas and interpretations, and I liked that he didn't shy away from the real danger that can come with the source material. The story with Sabrina was completely different from the anime and the battle Ash had with Ritchie in the Indigo League are one of my favorites. Thus, I ended up referencing Ono's title cover for the first chapter dealing with Rudy from the Orange Islands.

I honestly can't explain what those... explosion streams are. It's really just there for implications of emotion rather than anything else, like it's there for aesthetic purposes. So, I guess, Rule of Cool? I dunno. I can tell you that I hate how the black fill-ins came out. I wish I looked into how it's done before I completed this but alas... I don't have the wherewithal within me to do so. Maybe one day some day. Just not today. (Omigod I just realized that I forgot Ash's sword harness aaaAAAHHH)

Anyway, now that this theme is done, it's time I move onto the remainder. I almost feel excited to finally see this theme challenge completed. Like I'm in the last stretch to a badge of honor or something. Wish me luck!

Art © Hakui-Kitsune
Screentones © Screentones @dA
Reference © Toshihiro Ono
Ash Ketchum, Misty, Brock, Pikachu, Rudy, & Mahri © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, Gamefreak Inc, OLM Inc, Pokemon Company & International

No comments:

Post a Comment