Thursday, April 4, 2019

036. What If: Prince Goldenrod Learned that Mistina was Really Princess Cerulean?

This is the ninety-fourth submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping Theme Challenge.
(Due to Blogspot's formatting, you can read this theme here.)

36. What If: Prince Goldenrod Learned that Mistina the Warrior was Really Princess Cerulean?
Despite having made 2 comics already for the challenge, I decided to go with one more (because I like to torture myself, I suppose). This one, however, isn't as long as Ran Over nor as shoddily put together as Confession, but somewhere in the middle. (At least, I hope people think it is. I tried, regardless! D: ) If my handwriting is difficult to read, by the way, I can provide a full transcript upon request.

Brainstorming this theme, I started with a small bit of dialogue that just popped into my head almost immediately. It wasn't fully-formed dialogue but I knew the gist of what I wanted (which was the overt use of the word 'foolish' between Ash and Misty there at the end). I also wanted to give a bit of character to the kingdom Misty hails from in this story. I didn't want to just draw some backgrounds that look they came straight out of a stock photo, especially since water is such an important part to Misty and her sisters. So, I searched a little bit around Google Images and came upon some really pretty examples of what I wanted. (This one being the main example.) I wasn't able to show off a lot of it in the comic itself, but I hope there's enough that you can get an idea of where I was going with my idea.

To be honest, I think I might've taken more time designing the attire for Misty and her sisters. With the crown, the diadems, the dresses... At least I know they didn't go to waste since you have to see them a lot (Misty's, anyway). ^_^;; So, after I decided the designs, I then went on to freestyle sketching the panels I wanted. That was probably the easiest part but then I had to actually fit them into a cohesive layout for an actual comic. Which is what we have here. ^_^

As for the actual plot of this story, I didn't think too far into it... but I'm pretty sure I missed the point with the title of this theme as I'm doing a storyline that takes place after Ash finds out about Misty's true identity. This doesn't showcase Ash's first reaction to finding out she's of royal blood at all, and it honestly makes me wonder how my brain works sometimes. ^_^;; I liked what I made here enough to decide to run with it, though. I know I definitely would've made my life simpler if I'd just made a one-page reaction instead of this but c'est la vie.

So, getting back on topic, the plot (or rather, backstory) of this comic is Misty is called back to her family's kingdom for reasons similar to Gotta Catch Ya Later! and though she puts up a bit of fuss, she ultimately agrees and heads home. Ash (or Prince Goldenrod) and his remaining crew try to cope with this fact and move on in their travels but they end up missing her terribly. So, after acknowledging that everyone is on the same page, they head to the Cerulean Kingdom. Now, thankfully due to being the crown prince of another kingdom, Ash and crew don't have to fight to see Her Majesty beyond quick pleading with the guards. They don't know if Daisy will listen to, let alone honor, Ash's request but they feel there is nothing left to lose. Unbeknownst to them, though, is that Misty herself has had many a discussion with her sister, the Queen, in hopes of a similar outcome. Unfortunately, I never came up with the exact reasons for why Misty was called back... just that, for the sake of simplicity and not extending this comic to a page count as long as Theme #95, they're reasons that can be negotiated without too headache. Also, the "full extent of pardoning" bit I mention near the end just means that it'll take several days of paperwork, council appeals, deliberations, and more negotiations to sort everything out so that the kingdom can run smoothly without Misty having to physically be at home.

Oh, and to go into what I actually imagine Ash's reaction upon the reveal would go, I'd say 'cartoonish shock' ("WHAT?! You're the princess of the Cerulean Kingdom??") along with a dose of 'stunned silence' ("Well, I'm more like a princess of Cerulean -- currently third in line to the throne -- but yes, I am.") and followed by 'sincere conviction' ("... It doesn't matter to me what title you go by, I know that the time we've spent together was true. You are a most treasured friend to me and that will never change.") once he accepted the fact.

... Dang, I probably should've gone with that instead. Then this would be a supplemental story instead of an actual submission. I'll have to think about it, though, at a much later date... when I'm not nearly burnt out after working on this enormity.

Well, I think that's all I have to say about this theme. Everything else should speak for themselves (if I'm assuming correctly), so if you have any questions that haven't been addressed, go ahead and ask me! Till then! :)

Art © Hakui-Kitsune
Screentones © Screentones @dA
Ash Ketchum, Misty, Daisy, Violet, Lily, Brock, Pikachu, & Togepi © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, Gamefreak Inc, OLM Inc, Pokemon Company & International

No comments:

Post a Comment