Wednesday, November 7, 2012

084. Sharing an Umbrella

This is the twenty-seventh submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping 100 Theme Challenge.

84. Sharing an Umbrella
With this theme I wanted to draw hydrangeas, obviously. I had no idea how to draw them, how they grew, how big they could grow just by nature alone, what the size ratio would be in comparison to a human being, and then how big they'd be compared to children around the age of, at most, 7 years old. ^_^;; So, I had to do a bit of research with this. It wasn't extensive but it was aggravating. I think with the size ratio, the biggest help I had was CLAMP's XXXholic. If you've never read it, the story is about a young man named Kimihiro Watanuki who gets roped into working as a part-time maid for a woman named Yuko as payment for his request to her of removing his ability to see the supernatural. At least the first few volumes of the series has self-contained stories that teach a valuable lesson of life and choices (and other such things). In volume 5, there is a story about this gigantic hydrangea bush growing in a park in Watanuki's town, and it involves this little girl who's afraid of meeting up with her parents/guardians in the case of them being angry with her for running away. Its ending is bittersweet, but they have all these nice shots of the hydrangea flowers alongside the characters, so it really helped me guess how big the flowers are supposed to be, especially since there is a child involved too! :D

Oh yeah, I have only a fuzzy memory of it, but I think the reason why I chose to draw Ash and Misty as children in little raincoats was because someone on deviantART had suggested it to me on my account. I don't remember the username very well, so if you're reading this and know it was you who had suggested something like that to me, go ahead and let me know. Whether it be on deviantART or here on BlogSpot is fine. :3

Going back to hydrangeas: Never. Again. At least, never such an amount again. I felt like I was starting to lose my mind when I was almost halfway through. In fact, it was just purely the flowers that made me take so long on this thing. Not to mention I had to switch between 2 different art programs on 2 different computers because 1 didn't have a nice little feature of merging only certain layers together while leaving out the bottom default layer! D:< So many layers and so much merging! It almost makes me sick just thinking about it, especially since it hasn't been 24 hours since I finished this! Ugh, I don't know why I make myself do things I hate. Background practice maybe? I dunno. ~__~;; Let's just move on to the next theme I have done. Phew.

Art © Yours Truly, Hakui-Kitsune
Misty & Ash © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, Gamefreak Inc., OLM Inc., The Pokemon Company (& International), & Pokemon USA

No comments:

Post a Comment