Friday, October 9, 2015

085. Cosplay Time! Disney's Tangled



This is my sixty-fifth submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping Theme Challenge.

85. Cosplay Time! Disney's Tangled
From the beginning of brainstorming this theme, I knew I wanted to do the iconic Tied-to-a-Chair scene in Tangled. Why? Well, like I said, it's iconic. It's the first full interaction between Rapunzel and Flynn, and it really lays down their personalities (specifically to each other). Not to mention, it treats Flynn like the subsequent butt-monkey that the rest of the movie pretty much treats him.

However! I decided at almost last minute to not play to the exact dynamic of the scene from the movie for this theme. Because I love to make either Misty or Ash (sometimes both) flustered with these cosplay themes. So, a thought quickly came to me about Ash cosplaying as Rapunzel. He'd probably have a lot of trouble with the hair. Like, he wouldn't know where to step or how to handle it or probably even know what to do with it! Which is why he's collapsed over Misty and the chair like he is here. He stepped on some of the hair (which, I'll have you know, was a bit of a menace to draw lineart for), slipped, and caught himself on Misty and the chair. In the sketch stage, I even doodled in a couple Japanese lines between him and Misty where she asks if he's okay and he just shouts, "shut your face!" Granted, the phrase "urusai!" is versatile when you translate it because it depends on the situation and tone. In this case, I don't think I'm too off by translating it to 'shut your face'. Any Japanese language experts can correct me on that, though, if I'm wrong.

Now, if anyone wants to take me up on how crappy the BG looks... Just don't. I know it's horrible and looks nothing like Rapunzel's room in the actual movie. I'd just like to point out, though, that I haven't drawn accurate nor truly relevant BGs with any of the previous cosplay themes, so why should I start now? XP As for the red curtains, I wanted to do some sort of framing (kinda like Theme #75: Naruto Cosplay) and also save myself from drawing more hair. I'd much rather draw at least 50 separate pieces of Kiliel fanart before drawing Tangled fanart again. I have as much frustration and umbridge against Rapunzel's hair as Ash does in this piece. Because seriously? Really long hair is just a big ol' pain in the butt. Oohhhh boy, it's such a big ol' pain in the butt.

And yes, in case you're wondering, Pikachu is painted like Pascal. Despite looking nothing like him. XD

Art © Hakui-Kitsune
Ash Ketchum, Misty, & Pikachu © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, GameFreak Inc, OLM Inc, The Pokémon Company (& International), & Pokémon USA
Rapunzel, Flynn Rider (Eugene Fitzherbert), & Pascal © Disney, Nathan Greno, & Byron Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment