Thursday, April 26, 2012

034. Surf's Up! Summer Outfits


This is the twenty-second submission for my attempt at looneytunerian's Pokeshipping 100 Theme Challenge.

34. Surf's Up! Summer Outfits
Guess who's been working on backgrounds as of late? That's right! 8D I don't know why I've been drawing in backgrounds for these pictures, maybe I just feel like practicing my skills a little? I've always been meaning to do so. I guess it wasn't until now that I actually take myself up on the challenge.

Oh yeah, the challenge. So, this drawing was what almost immediately came to mind when I looked at the theme. I say 'almost' because the initial rough draft I made up was going to be on a mini cliff-side with Ash & Misty sitting on the edge, their surfboards stuck in the ground behind them. Then, in the distance, you could see a beach with some umbrellas and beach towels with nearly ant-sized people enjoying the sun and whatnot. Beyond that would be a cityscape/tropical forest (depending on what I felt like drawing) with a bright blue sky shining above. But then I realized that that is a lot more than I'm willing to try and the perspectives weren't coming out the way I wanted when I sketched them, so I drew a second draft which turned into this. This was a lot simpler, though it can be considered that I chickened out and went the cheaper route, but whatever! XD

If you're wondering, by the way, I did add in some sunburn to the kids along with the water droplets. It adds a bit of dimension, don't you think? Granted, I probably screwed up on the sunburn by not coloring their skin completely in it, but it works for the most part. I like it anyway. :3

And no, I did not make those cloud brushes. I got them from an account on deviantART that I don't remember the name of. I use those brushes a lot whenever I need to put in clouds and I'm not confident in making my own. A quick search on deviantART should help you find those exact brushes, though, so go ahead and do that if you want to use them for yourselves. I'm too tired to look it up and everything. ^_^;;

Art © Yours Truly, Hakui-Kitsune
Misty & Ash © Satoshi Tajiri, Nintendo, Gamefreak Inc., OLM Inc., The Pokemon Company (& International), & Pokemon USA
Cloud Brushes © redheadstock
Pokeshipping 100 Theme Challenge © looneytunerian

No comments:

Post a Comment